2011年11月22日 星期二

How to choose the right materials for your students?

Hi, everyone! Sorry for the delay. I am currently in America spending some quality time with friends and family. I will try to put in more entry but you know how it is.....it's so hard to stay inside and work when visiting a new city!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Ever since I start teaching, I often discuss with my school manager about what kind of materials I like or how do the students react to the materials, is it too hard or too easy. Then almost with no exceptions, I always ended up choose the materials for the entire school.

Here are few pointers I look for when choosing the materials:
1. Difficulty:
Usually I would choose the books that the difficulty level suits the whole class. So even the under-performance students could excel if they try hard. However, by doing so, the students who learn faster might get board easily. Therefore, if you decide to choose relatively easier materials, you should always have extra materials at hand for the more advance students to tackle on!

2. Illustration:
Illustration is important especially for beginners who have limited vocabulary. There are many vocabularies that are hard to explain by using language and it is simply if you simply have a picture of it.

3. Practice
I like the textbook, materials that have many exercises and questions to practice with. In my opinion,the only way to mater a  language is through drilling and practices. The advantages of having many practice questions or exercise is that teacher can choose freely whether they want to use it or not. Or even assigned it as homework.

沒有留言:

張貼留言